Notes from the Choir Loft: Dia de los Muertos edition



Greetings, dear choristers!

I'm afraid my choir notebook is downstairs at the moment so the notes are flying without a net.

This is the week all our hard work pays off and we conquer the Matterhorn-sized mountain of a piece called Nimrod (aka: Lux Aeterna).

I do remember that in the midst of the epic Elgar rehearsal, there was something about a Kierkegaard-ian Leap of Faith. I have no idea which specific part of which piece this occurred in, however, as it applies to so many different places.


I think I will save the, um.... unique phonetic alphabet of M. Dodds for another edition.


The CD has been a wonderful help in the car, but if, like me, you sometimes find yourself without a CD player, here are some helpful links:

Lux Aeterna Extra Practice Opportunities:


**Incredible** version by British group Voces8


By Parts

Note: I struggled with the sound quality when I tried playing it on my laptop, but it worked out well when I played it on my TV (standard TV speakers... via youTube via AppleTV...). "Your mileage may vary". 

Treble 1

Treble 2

Alto 1

Alto 2

Tenor 1

Tenor 2

Bass 1

Bass 2



Bonus:

As reward for all the extra practice, please accept this song which has been on permanent repeat in my living room the past few days:






BTW: Voces8 was new to me -- the seem like a really neat group; they do a ton of educational stuff -- teaching music but also using music to help education in general.. Very cool.

Voces8 Website
Voces8 Tedx Talk


All Saints Sunday


Thinking about this week's service, another song that has meant a lot to me in times of grief is 'Go Rest High'...

Just a cursory look at the church prayer list shows that no person is untouched by grief or loss or illness or disappointment. But in whatever we are grieving, there is this hope: that this world is not the end; and that we do not grieve alone.

"It is well with my soul"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truant Chorister: A New URL

Christmas Concert Edition

Bell-a-palooza and Hymn Sing edition